Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Branding :: ABSOLUT Art


"London has such a fascinating and rich history which has inspired me over the years. For ABSOLUT London I chose to re-create 7 iconic characters from different eras who are largely defined by their style as well as their impactful contribution to London's culture at the time." - Artist Jamie Hewlett

ABSOLUT vodka has commissioned Jamie Hewlett to create a special limited edition Absolut London bottle in celebration of London’s creativity and rich style heritage.  Set against a London backdrop, the bottle features key characters from the past who have influenced and shaped London’s present fashion scene, from a Dickensian gent and 18th Century Dandy, through to Pinstripe gent, 60’s chick, SKA, Punk and  80’s Casual.


This is a product + artist coup for me, as Hewlett's style has been a fixture in both the music and comic scene for the past 20 years.  Most recognizably & recent, his heavy-lidded angular characters have taken the form of the virtual band Gorillaz which he launched in 2000 with Blur's Damon Albarn.  He's also the original artist behind the post-apocalypically chaotic world of the comic Tank Girl.  


While this would be an opportune time to get the video for my favourite Gorillaz song on here (19-2000), I think his intro for the 2008 Beijing Olympics is a perfect example of his style.  I'd also like to point out that if I'm able to get my hands on one of those bottles it's perfectly alright to drink for the sake and celebration of art.




No comments:

Post a Comment